These documents support the EPA program for approving Federal Reference Methods (FRM) and Federal Equivalent Methods (FEMs). This information will be updated periodically based on input from EPA’s Office of Research and Development.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- List of Designated Reference and Equivalent Methods (PDF)(76 pp, 1 MB, December 15, 2020)
- Technical Note Regarding the Tisch Environment TE-PM2.5C Cyclone Background (PDF)(3 pp, 898 K, November 4, 2014)
- Clarifications and Interpretations Concerning the Comparability Tests for Class II and III Candidate Equivalent Methods for PM2.5 and PM10-2.5 (40 CFR 53.35 and related sections) (PDF)(2 pp, 21 K, January 18, 2007)
- Notice of EPA Re-designation of Certain Equivalent Methods for PM2.5 (PDF)(2 pp, 24 K, December 18, 2006)
- NOTICE: Potential Applicants for US EPA Designation of Candidate Class II and III Equivalent Methods for PM2.5 and PM10-2.5 Under the New (2006) EPA Regulations (40 CFR 53) (PDF)(2 pp, 22 K)
- Guidelines for FRM and FEM Applicants (PDF)(48 pp, 331 K, September 27, 2011)