An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

If my children have been in a building with asbestos, do they need to see a physician? If I taught in a building with asbestos, do I need to see a physician?

Not necessarily. Asbestos does not pose a health risk if it is managed properly. However, if you feel you may have been exposed to asbestos fibers in the air, you should consult with a physician that specializes in lung disorders or occupational exposures.