Risk Management for Carbon Tetrachloride
Below is information on EPA actions to manage risks from carbon tetrachloride. Carbon tetrachloride is a solvent used in commercial settings as a raw material for producing other chemicals like refrigerants, chlorinated compounds, and agricultural products. There are no consumer uses of this chemical.
On this page:
- Managing risks found in the 2020 final risk evaluation
- Opportunities for public and stakeholder engagement
On other pages:
- Learn how EPA manages unreasonable risks from chemicals currently on the market.
- View a list of all chemicals undergoing risk evaluation, including docket numbers and agency points of contact.
EPA completed the final risk evaluation for carbon tetrachloride under amended TSCA in October 2020. The final risk evaluation for carbon tetrachloride determined that there are unreasonable risks to workers and occupational non-users for 13 out of 15 conditions of use. EPA found no unreasonable risks to the environment. There are no consumer uses of this chemical.
The next step in the process required by TSCA is addressing these risks. There are several actions EPA could take to address these risks, including regulations to prohibit or limit the manufacture, processing, distribution in the marketplace, use, or disposal of this chemical substance, as applicable. EPA is now in the process of developing ways to address the unreasonable risks identified and has up to one year to propose and take public comments on any risk management actions.
- Learn more about the unreasonable risks found in the final risk evaluation.
- Find information on ways to reduce exposure to this chemical as EPA works through the process required by TSCA to reduce or eliminate unreasonable risks from this chemical.
Environmental Justice Consultation on HBCD and Carbon Tetrachloride
EPA is holding two identical consultation webinars, one on February 2 and the other on February 18, to consult with environmental justice communities on risk management for HBCD and carbon tetrachloride. Find registration information.EXIT
Other Engagement Opportunities
There will be additional opportunities for public and stakeholder engagement as EPA works through the risk management process for this chemical. Just like the risk evaluation process, there will also be opportunities for public comment as EPA works to propose and finalize risk management actions for the conditions of use of carbon tetrachloride that EPA has determined present an unreasonable risk.
- View a list of all public and stakeholder engagement opportunities related to risk management.
- You can reach out to the EPA point of contact for this chemical, listed at the top, right of this page, for more information or to schedule a one-on-one meeting.
- You can also stay informed by signing for our email alerts or checking the public docket at www.regulations.gov.
Past Meetings, Webinars, and Other Engagement Opportunities
The deadline for self-nominations for the carbon tetrachloride Small Business Advocacy Review (SBAR) panel was December 14, 2020. Learn more about the potential SBAR panel.
On December 10, 2020, EPA held a webinar on the TSCA risk management process and the findings in the final risk evaluation for carbon tetrachloride.