Risk Management for C.I. Pigment Violet 29
Below is information on EPA actions to manage risks from C.I. Pigment Violet 29 (PV29). PV29 is currently manufactured, processed, distributed, used, and disposed of as part of industrial, commercial, and consumer conditions of use. Leading applications for this chemical include use as an intermediate to create or adjust color of other perylene pigments, incorporation into paints and coatings primarily in the automobile industry, incorporation into plastic and rubber products primarily in automobiles and industrial carpeting, use in merchant ink for commercial printing, and use in consumer watercolors and artistic color.
On this page:
- Managing risks found in the 2021 final risk evaluation
- Opportunities for public and stakeholder engagement
On other pages:
- Learn how EPA manages unreasonable risks from chemicals currently on the market.
- View a list of all chemicals undergoing risk evaluation, including docket numbers and agency points of contact.
EPA completed the final risk evaluation for PV29 under amended TSCA in January 2021. The final risk evaluation for PV29 determined that there are unreasonable risks to workers and occupational non-users for 10 out of 14 conditions of use. EPA found no unreasonable risk to consumers, bystanders, the general population, or the environment.
The next step in the process required by TSCA is addressing these risks. There are several actions EPA could take to address these risks, including regulations to prohibit or limit the manufacture, processing, distribution in the marketplace, use, or disposal of this chemical substance, as applicable. EPA is now in the process of developing ways to address the unreasonable risks identified and has up to one year to propose and take public comments on any risk management actions.
- Learn more about the unreasonable risks found in the final risk evaluation.
- Find information on ways to reduce exposure to this chemical as EPA works through the process required by TSCA to eliminate unreasonable risks from this chemical.
There will be additional opportunities for public and stakeholder engagement as EPA works through the risk management process for this chemical. Just like the risk evaluation process, there will also be opportunities for public comment as EPA works to propose and finalize risk management actions for the conditions of use of PV29 that EPA has determined present an unreasonable risk.
- View a list of all public and stakeholder engagement opportunities related to risk management.
- You can reach out to the EPA point of contact for this chemical, listed at the top, right of this page, for more information or to schedule a one-on-one meeting.
- You can also stay informed by signing for our email alerts or checking the public docket at www.regulations.gov.