Risk Management for n-Methylpyrrolidone (NMP)
Below is information on EPA actions to manage risks from n-methylpyrrolidone (NMP). NMP, also called n-methyl-2-pyrrolidone, or 1-methyl-2-pyrrolidone, is a chemical that is widely used during the manufacture and production of petrochemicals, electronics and plastic material and resin manufacturing. NMP is used for solvent cleaning and surface treatment of metals, textiles, resins and plastics. In the commercial sector, NMP is used for producing and removing paints, coatings and adhesives. Common consumer uses include paints and coatings, glues and adhesives, paint and adhesive removers, lubricants, and automotive care products.
On this page:
- Managing risks found in the 2020 final risk evaluation
- Opportunities for public and stakeholder engagement
On other pages:
- View a list of all chemicals undergoing risk evaluation, including docket numbers and agency points of contact.
Managing Risks Found in the 2020 Final Risk Evaluation
EPA completed the final risk evaluation for NMP under amended TSCA in December 2020. The final risk evaluation for NMP determined that there are unreasonable risks to workers and consumers, for 26 out of 37 conditions of use. EPA found no unreasonable risks to occupational non-users, bystanders, the general population, and the environment for all conditions of use.
The next step in the process required by TSCA is addressing these risks. There are several actions EPA could take to address these risks, including regulations to prohibit or limit the manufacture, processing, distribution in the marketplace, use, or disposal of this chemical substance, as applicable. EPA is now in the process of developing ways to address the unreasonable risks identified and has up to one year to propose and take public comments on any risk management actions.
- Learn more about the unreasonable risks found in the final risk evaluation.
- Find information on ways to reduce exposure to this chemical as EPA works through the process required by TSCA to eliminate unreasonable risks from this chemical.
Opportunities for Public and Stakeholder Engagement
There will be additional opportunities for public and stakeholder engagement as EPA works through the risk management process for this chemical. Just like the risk evaluation process, there will also be opportunities for public comment as EPA works to propose and finalize risk management actions for the conditions of use of NMP that EPA has determined present an unreasonable risk.
- View a list of all public and stakeholder engagement opportunities related to risk management.
- You can reach out to the EPA point of contact for this chemical, listed at the top right of this page, for more information or to schedule a one-on-one meeting.
- You can also stay informed by signing for our email alerts or checking the public docket at www.regulations.gov.
Past Meetings, Webinars, and Other Engagement Opportunities
The deadline for self-nominations for the Small Business Advocacy Review (SBAR) panel on risk management for NMP was January 19, 2021. Learn more about the NMP SBAR panel.