Risk Management for Perchloroethylene
Below is information on EPA actions to manage risks from perchloroethylene. Perchloroethylene is a colorless liquid used primarily in industrial settings for dry cleaning and degreasing metals. This chemical is also used in the production of fluorinated compounds, as a solvent for cleaning and degreasing, and in lubricants, adhesives, and sealants. Perchloroethylene has a limited number of consumer uses in products like adhesives for arts and crafts and stainless steel polish.
On this page:
- Managing risks found in the 2020 final risk evaluation
- Opportunities for public and stakeholder engagement
On other pages:
- Learn how EPA manages unreasonable risks from chemicals currently on the market.
- View a list of all chemicals undergoing risk evaluation, including docket numbers and agency points of contact.
Managing Risks Found in the 2020 Final Risk Evaluation
EPA completed the final risk evaluation for perchloroethylene under amended TSCA in December 2020. The final risk evaluation for perchloroethylene determined that there are unreasonable risks to workers, occupational non-users, consumers, and bystanders for 59 out of 61 conditions of use.
The next step in the process required by TSCA is addressing these risks. There are several actions EPA could take to address these risks, including regulations to prohibit or limit the manufacture, processing, distribution in the marketplace, use, or disposal of this chemical substance, as applicable. EPA is now in the process of developing ways to address the unreasonable risks identified and has up to one year to propose and take public comments on any risk management actions.
- Learn more about the unreasonable risks found in the final risk evaluation.
- Find information on ways to reduce exposure to this chemical as EPA works through the process required by TSCA to eliminate unreasonable risks from this chemical.
Opportunities for Public and Stakeholder Engagement
There will be additional opportunities for public and stakeholder engagement as EPA works through the risk management process for this chemical. Just like the risk evaluation process, there will also be opportunities for public comment as EPA works to propose and finalize risk management actions for the conditions of use of perchloroethylene that EPA has determined present an unreasonable risk.
- View a list of all public and stakeholder engagement opportunities related to risk management.
- You can reach out to the EPA point of contact for this chemical, listed at the top, right of this page, for more information or to schedule a one-on-one meeting.
- You can also stay informed by signing for our email alerts or checking the public docket at www.regulations.gov.
Past Meetings, Webinars, and Other Engagement Opportunities
On January 14, 2021, EPA held a webinar to educate stakeholders on the risk management process under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) and the findings in the final risk evaluation for perchloroethylene (PCE). View the webinar materials
The deadline for self-nominations for the Small Business Advocacy Review (SBAR) panel on risk management for perchloroethylene was January 19, 2021. Learn more about the perchloroethylene SBAR panel.