Brownfields and Land Revitalization in the Pacific Southwest
The Brownfields Program in Region 9 provides technical assistance and grants to communities in Arizona, California, Hawai’i, Nevada, the Pacific Islands and 148 tribal nations. Brownfields assistance and grants can be used to assess, safely clean-up and plan for the transformation of contaminated properties into community assets.
- Recent Projects
- Targeted Brownfields Assessment
- Materials for Brownfields Grants
- State Cleanup Programs
- Federally Recognized Tribes with 128(a) Brownfields Programs
Rails-To-Trails Project Site, Brea, CA
Targeted Brownfields Assessment
A Targeted Brownfields Assessment (TBA) is a technical service provided by EPA to conduct an all-appropriate inquiry Phase I Environmental Site Assessment (ESA) and/or Phase II ESA which documents environmental conditions at a property under consideration for redevelopment. The TBA can also be used to evaluate various cleanup alternatives, costs and reuse planning. EPA’s environmental consultants will conduct the TBA. The TBA program is offered by EPA at no cost to eligible public and non-profit entities interested in redeveloping abandoned or underutilized property that may be contaminated by hazardous substances, petroleum, drug laboratories, or mining wastes.
The program is voluntary and is designed to evaluate environmental conditions at Brownfields properties as a step towards cleanup and redevelopment of these properties.
Learn More or Request an Assessment
- Region 9's Targeted Brownfields Assessment Brochure
- Factsheets from Completed Technical Assistance Projects
- Use the online Targeted Brownfields Assessment Application Form to request a Targeted Brownfields Assessment in Arizona, California, Hawaii, or Nevada.
- For more information about Targeted Brownfields Assessments in Region 9, contact Lisa Hanusiak (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Materials for Brownsfields Grants
- Brownfields Funding Webinar Presentation
This webinar presentation provides information for prospective Brownfields grant applicants in EPA's Pacific Southwest (Region 9) on FY21’s upcoming multipurpose, assessment, and cleanup Requests for Proposals.
- How EPA’s Brownfields Program Can Work for You
Learn about EPA Brownfield grants, technical assistance, and example projects in Region 9
- From Brownfields to Green: In Praise of Open Spaces
Read about open space redevelopment projects - repurposing underutilized properties as valuable open or greenspaces.
- Cleanups in My Community
Find Brownfields projects in your area, create a table, generate maps!
State Cleanup Programs
Federally Recognized Tribes with 128(a) Brownfields Programs
The following links exit EPA.govExit