Brownfields Multipurpose Grants
Multipurpose (MP) Grants provide funding to carry out a range of eligible assessment and cleanup activities with a proposed target area, such as a neighborhood, a number of neighboring towns, a district, a corridor, a shared planning area or a census tract. The target area may not include communities that are located in distinctly different geographic areas. The performance period for these grants is five years.
An applicant can apply for up to $800,000 and should demonstrate how grant funds will result in at least:
- one Phase II environmental site assessment;
- one brownfield site cleanup; and
- an overall plan for revitalization of one or more brownfield sites, if there is not already a plan in place.
A MP Grant applicant should have a capacity to conduct a range of eligible activities, for example:
- Developing inventories of brownfield sites;
- Prioritizing sites;
- Conducting community involvement activities;
- Conducting environmental site assessments;
- Developing cleanup plans and reuse plans related to brownfield sites;
- Carry out cleanup activities on brownfield sites owned by the applicant; and
- Developing an overall plan for revitalization.
At the time of application, a MP Grant applicant must own a site(s), that meets the CERCLA § 101(39) definition of a brownfield site, within their target area where cleanup activities may be conducted. Eligibility determinations for site-specific assessment and cleanup activities will be made after the award of the grant throughout the project period.
MP Cost Share Requirement
- MP Grants require a $40,000 cost share, which may be in the form of a contribution of money, labor, material, or services, and must be for eligible and allowable costs.
- Applicants may not request EPA to waive the cost share requirement.
Grant Application Resources
- List of Entities Eligible to Apply for Multipurpose Grants
- FY 2021 Multipurpose Grant Application Resources
- Grant Application Resources from Prior Years
- Interested in applying for funding? (Multipurpose Grant Fact Sheet)
MP Grant Recipient Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Programmatic Requirements
- Information on Sites Eligible for Brownfields Funding under CERCLA§ 104(k)
- Information on Eligible Planning Activities