An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »


Region 6 Targeted Brownfields Assessment

On this page


What is a Targeted Brownfields Assessment?

A Target Brownfields Assessment (TBA) is a free service the EPA Region 6 Brownfields Team provides to communities to support their eligible Brownfields projects. Region 6 consists of Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. TBA services include:

  • Brownfields inventories,
  • area-wide planning,
  • site environmental assessments and investigations, and
  • site cleanup planning.

Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas have similar programs to provide environmental assessment services. The Region 6 TBA brochure provides more details.

Top of Page

Who Can Request a TBA?

  • Public (local units of governments)
  • Quasi-public (community development organizations)
  • Tribal governments
  • Non-profit entities

Privately-owned sites can be submitted as candidate sites, if the redevelopment will result in significant benefits to the general public. Land owners (private or public) must voluntarily sign a site access consent agreement for TBA services to be provided.

Top of Page

How to Request a TBA

You should first contact your local governmental agencies to determine whether a community-wide Brownfields assessment grant exists in the area. If a community-wide Brownfields assessment grant recipient does not exist in the area or the grant recipient can not or chooses not to provide the requested assessment service, the respective state should be contacted next. The State Brownfields Coordinators are listed below. If the state cannot or chooses not to provide the assessment service, the site can then be referred to EPA Region 6. 

To request TBA services from the EPA Region 6 Brownfields Team, simply complete the Region 6 Request for TBA form and the Region 6 TBA Consent for Access to Property Agreement form. Click the "Submit by Email" button located at the top of the request form to submit. The Consent form will need to be scanned and emailed, or mailed to Mary Kemp, at the following address:

Althea Foster, Chief RCRA and Brownfields (6LCR-RB)
U.S. EPA Region 6
1201 Elm Street, Suite 500
Dallas, TX 75270

Top of Page