An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Burn Wise

Funding Options for Replacing Wood-Burning Appliances

Burn Wise works with federal, state, tribal and local agencies to find and promote viable funding options to replace wood-burning appliances with cleaner home heating.

EPA’s Guide to Financing Options for Wood-burning Appliance Changeouts is a detailed description of available funding options - from federal funds to third party financing - that may cover the cost of a wood smoke reduction program and the changeouts needed to reduce harmful pollution while providing a warmer, more efficient home heating alternative. 

Many areas have used supplemental environmental project (SEP) funds to replace old wood stoves with cleaner appliances. A SEP is an environmentally beneficial project that a violator of an environmental law voluntarily agrees to undertake in the settlement of a civil enforcement action. See below for more information.