This workgroup is currently inactive.
In October 2009, a workgroup was formed to discuss and identify the major issues and potential barriers to implementing the Prevention of Significant Deterioration program under the Clean Air Act for greenhouse gases. The workgroup focused mainly on the Best Available Control Technology (BACT) requirement and identifying and recommending information and guidance that would be useful for EPA to provide to permitting agencies regarding the consideration of the energy, economic, and environmental impacts of potential control options for greenhouse gases in the context of a BACT analysis.
The workgroup presented its recommendations to the CAAAC at the CAAAC's February 3, 2010, meeting at which time the CAAAC unanimously voted to pass the recommendations on to EPA. The workgroup's reports and presentations are available below.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Interim Phase I Report of the Climate Change Work Group of the Permits, New Source Review and Toxics Subcommittee (PDF)(29 pp, 14 MB, February 3, 2010)
- Report of Issue Group 1: Scope of the GHG BACT Analysis - Defining the "Source" (PDF)(9 pp, 5 MB, February 1, 2010)
- Issue Group 2: Technical Feasibility (PDF)(9 pp, 6 MB, January 29, 2010)
- Subgroup 3: How do technologies get eliminated based on cost, energy, environmental factors? (PDF)(32 pp, 15 MB, February 9, 2010)
- Group 4: Needs of States and Stakeholders (PDF)(4 pp, 2 MB, January 26, 2010)
- Climate Change Work Group Report to the CAAAC - Presentation (PDF)(13 pp, 3 MB, February 2010)
- New Source Review BACT Review, Climate Change Workgroup Presentation (PDF)(14 pp, 168 K, October 6, 2009)
- Permits, New Source Review, Toxics Subcommittee: Climate Change Workgroup Presentation (PDF)(7 pp, 209 K, October 7, 2009)