Reporting Period Kick-Off: Chemical Data Reporting Cycle begins June 1, 2020
For Release: May 29, 2020
The 2020 Chemical Data Reporting (CDR) submission period begins on June 1, 2020 and runs through November 30, 2020. The CDR rule requires manufacturers (including importers) of certain chemical substances listed on the TSCA Inventory to report data on chemical manufacturing, processing, and use every four years. This information helps EPA understand exposure to these chemicals and screen and prioritize chemicals to identify and evaluate potential human health and environmental effects.
Materials to help CDR submitters prepare for and report information during the 2020 CDR cycle can be found at https://19january2021snapshot.epa.gov/chemical-data-reporting, including:
- how to access e-CDRweb starting June 1, the electronic reporting tool used to submit CDR data in EPA’s Chemical Data Exchange (CDX);
- instructions for reporting during the 2020 cycle;
- topic-specific guidance like information on imported products and specific industries, with guidance on additional topics planned for release in the coming weeks;
- transcripts and recordings from overview webinars; and
- important dates and reminders.
If your company is required to submit information under CDR and you expect to report a chemical using an accession number, please note that the confidential status of some substances on the TSCA Inventory is changing. Certain substances currently listed as confidential on the TSCA Inventory are expected to be disclosed on the public inventory. EPA is posting a preliminary list of these chemicals by accession number to assist CDR reporters as they make decisions on CBI claims. The agency then plans to update the public version of the TSCA Inventory with these chemicals this summer.
The change in confidential status is due either to the fact that the claim was not reasserted as required in a Notice of Activity under TSCA section 8(b) or because the claim has been denied (because, for example, the substance was reported as non-confidential in a prior CDR submission or in a Notice of Activity). CDR submitters are encouraged to consult this list prior to filing 2020 CDR submissions and carefully consider confidentiality claims relating to these substances.
For any additional questions, please visit our website at https://19january2021snapshot.epa.gov/chemical-data-reporting or email the CDR Team at email@example.com.
As previously announced, there are new requirements for the 2020 CDR reporting cycle, including:
- new requirements for making confidentiality claims (CBI);
- reporting refinements related to byproducts, including exemptions;
- phasing out certain processing and use data codes;
- an improved process for reporting co-manufacturing; and
- updating the definition for small manufacturers that are exempt from reporting.
Note that EPA extended the reporting period by two months to November 30 to give submitters ample time to become accustomed to changes in CDR reporting resulting from these requirements.
To report to CDR using e-CDRweb, you must register with CDX. If you have technical issues or problems regarding CDX registration, please contact the CDX Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-890-1995. International callers who wish to contact the Help Desk should call 970-494-5500.