Children's Health Curriculum Lesson 3: Breathing Easy: Keeping the Inside of Our Homes Healthy and Clean
This lesson teaches kids about air pollutants or irritants and how to keep the air in our homes and schools clean. It includes information about asthma and its triggers as well as lead exposure.
Kids Will Be Able To:
- define asthma, breathing, secondhand smoke, and other triggers;
- name three asthma triggers and how to avoid them;
- list three things that they can do to keep the air in their homes healthy;
- explain how lead can impact kids negatively; and
- list steps to avoid exposure to lead in our homes.
How to Get This Lesson:
- The complete lesson plan offers everything you need, including all visual materials.
Download the complete lesson plan
Lesson 3: Breathing Easy: Keeping the Inside of Our Homes Healthy and Clean
Download parts of the lesson plan
Lesson Cards (PDF) (12 pp, 3 MB)
Handouts for students:
Asthma Triggers Hunt (PDF) (6 pp, 4 MB)
Take Home Talk (PDF) (2 pp, 575 K)
Poster 1 Clean Air (PDF) (2 pp, 270 K)
Poster 2 Clean Air (PDF) (2 pp, 4 MB)
Poster 3 Clean Air (PDF) (2 pp, 762 K)
- AirNow: Why is Coco Orange? Asthma Storybook
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Asthma Kids Resources - Fun facts, games, and learning activities
Kids' Activities / Coloring Sheets