Children's Health Curriculum Lesson 4: Be Sun Smart
This lesson teaches kids about the sun and why plants, animals, and humans need it. It also explains how the sun can be harmful and ways to protect ourselves from it.
Kids Will Be Able To
- define sunscreen, sunburn, vitamin D, and ultraviolet (UV) light;
- explain basic information about the sun;
- list three things that the sun provides which we need; and
- list three ways that they can protect themselves from too much sun.
How To Get This Lesson
- The complete lesson plan offers everything you need, including all visual materials.
Download the complete lesson plan
Download parts of the lesson plan
Lesson Cards (PDF) (9 pp, 3 MB)
Handouts for students:
Take Home Talk (PDF) (2 pp, 894 K)
- AirNow: Air Quality Index Basics
- AirNow: For Students
- SunWise Downloads Exit - EPA's program transferred to the National Environmental Education Foundation - includes activities, posters and teacher background materials
- EPA: The Sun, UV, and You: A Guide to SunWise Behavior
- EPA: Action Steps for Sun Safety