HiveScience is a citizen science project for beekeepers. Using the HiveScience mobile phone-based app, beekeepers can submit hive health reports, Varroa mite counts, and request kits to send honey samples to EPA. This data may allow us to track hive health through analysis of honey samples and also track Varroa mite infestations across regions in real-time. It will also provide information about the real-world effectiveness of the miticides registered by EPA.
Why is HiveScience important?
Declining health of honey bees and other pollinators is a national concern. Honey bees contribute to the United States economy. HiveScience will advance understanding of how Varroa mites and other pathogens affect honey bee hives. With widespread use, HiveScience will also permit beekeepers to see a real-time map of Varroa mite infestations developing in their areas so they can take appropriate precautions before infestation sets in for their hives.
How can beekeepers help?
Beekeepers can become involved in this effort by collecting the following information for a single honey bee colony in their apiary that they monitor throughout the year:
- Conduct routine hive inspections and use the HiveScience app to share that information with EPA using the app’s colony health survey.
- Determine the Varroa mite load and, if necessary, describe any measures taken to control mite infestation.
- Use the materials provided by EPA to collect a single, small sample of honey from the monitored colony in the fall. Please note, HiveScience is in a pilot phase and, for that reason, we may limit the number of honey samples we analyze to reflect the goals and status of the project.
- Report overwintering success of the sampled colony.
Participate in HiveScience
Beekeepers interested in participating in HiveScience will need:
- One honey bee hive
- Beekeeping equipment
- Smartphone with camera
- Varroa mite monitoring supplies
- Honey sample collection kit (provided by EPA)
To join HiveScience:
- Install the mobile application on your smartphone today: Android Exit or iPhone Exit.
- Using the mobile app, register to participate.
Questions about the HiveScience project? Contact the HiveScience Team.