Freight demand in the U.S. is on the rise, global commerce is expanding and public awareness of the environmental impacts of transportation is increasing. In this informative webinar, speakers discussed how companies are participating in EPA SmartWay to address these issues and improve freight efficiency in their supply chains. In this one-hour webcast attendees learned about:
- An introduction to SmartWay, and the tools and market-based incentives that are helping companies set goals for reducing the environmental impacts and costs of transportation
- How Bacardi integrated SmartWay into its "Good Spirited" sustainability campaign, significantly reduced packaging weight and collaborated with its transportation service providers to reduce greenhouse gas and emission from its freight operations. Bacardi also works with Ryder Supply Chain Logistics, a SmartWay logistics partner, and uses Ryder's network planner to improve the efficiency of multi-stop shipments. Bacardi also will share the progress it is making to improve its warehouse management system, and more.
- Tyson Food is one of the world's largest food production companies and operates an extensive supply chain. Tyson participates in SmartWay as both a shipper and a carrier, and will discuss programs it has in place to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, other air pollutants and fuel consumption in both its private and contracted fleets. These include an intermodal strategy, technology investments and encouraging its contracted fleets to join SmartWay.
- For companies across a broad range of industries, transportation and logistics outsourcing is a strategic option from handling pickup and delivery to specialized services not only in shipping, but in providing tracking services to ensure the on time delivery of cargo and freight. Third party logistics companies can provide integrated transportation solutions, helping to improve freight efficiency and reliability.
- Denise Kearns, SmartWay Transport Partnership Environmental Protection Specialist, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Robert Damon, Senior Director Transportation and Logistics, North America, Bacardi
- Brad Pierce, Corporate Transportation Manager, Tyson Foods, Inc.
- Representative from Ryder System, Inc.
- Presentation Slides: The Benefits of "Greening" Transportation in the Supply Chain (PDF)(33 pp, 2 MB, July 29, 2015)