Explore Programs Related to the Collision Repair Campaign
Related federal programs
- EPA's Automotive Refinishing Safety Information
EPA’s Design for the Environment's (DfE) best practices project (1997-2013) was a voluntary partnership with the collision repair industry and schools to promote safer alternatives and best practices to reduce risk in the workplace and community. This website offers numerous tools to enhance the awareness of health and safety issues associated with automotive refinishing.
- EPA's Best Workplace Practices for Automotive Repair and Fleet Maintenance
EPA worked closely with the automotive repair and fleet maintenance sectors to evaluate environmental, technical, and economic best practices for automotive repair and fleet maintenance operations.
- OSHA’s “$afety Pays” Program
This tool can be used to calculate the health benefits derived when collision repair businesses adopt best practices to reduce air toxics.
- NIOSH Hazard Controls: Control of Dust From Sanding in Auto Body Repair Shops
A document alerting workers to dangers of hazardous components of paint spray, including metals such as lead and chromium, polyisocyanates, and liquid organic solvents.
- Small Business Envrionmental Assistance Program (SBEAPs)
Click on your state to contact your confidential nonregulatory technical assistance provider.
- Petition for Exemption Resources
The Small Business Environmental Assistance Programs (SBEAPs) have curated lists from all the major paint manufacturers that show which if any automotive paints contain the target HAPs. These provide an easy reference for you to submit with your petition for exemption. You will find that most paints no longer contain the target HAPs thanks to reformulation.
Other related programs
The following links exit the site Exit
- Coordinating Committee for Automotive Repair -- CCAR operates the National Automotive Environmental Compliance Assistance Center for the automotive industry in cooperation with EPA.
- Greenlink Virtual Shop -- this website presents a virtual automotive refinishing shop.
- Safe Shops (a program of the Boston Public Health Commission) -- this website contains information about the safe shops program, its resources, training, education and environmental practices.
- Iowa Waste Reduction Center’s Painter Training -- IWRC offers online training for the painting and coatings industry, including:
- New Jersey
- VOC Compliance for Auto Body Shops (PDF) (2 pp, 1.1 MB, About PDF) -- a factsheet to provide guidance on air regulations that affect auto body shops in New Jersey.
- HVLP Spray Gun Operation (PDF) (126 pp, 806 K, About PDF) (see pages 79 - 84) -- requirements and procedures concerning the control and prohibition of air pollution by VOCs from repair and refinishing facilities.
- Alliance for Auto Service Providers of NJ -- AASP advances the professionalism and excellence in the automotive repair industry through education, representation, and member services
- Rhode Island's Auto Body Certification Program
- Pacific Northwest Pollution Prevention Resource Center's Spray Painting Efficiency Training and the New NESHAP