Asbestos Demolition and Renovation Compliance Monitoring
EPA, state and local air program inspectors inspect renovation and demolition sites to determine compliance with the Asbestos National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP), 40 CFR sections 61.140 through 61.157.
- review notification documents
- inspect job sites
- collect physical evidence necessary to document compliance or noncompliance
The Asbestos NESHAP program focuses on renovation and demolition activities and waste disposal sites. It applies to asbestos generation during mining, manufacturing/fabricating, renovation and demolition and waste disposal.
- notify the appropriate state or local air program authority
- conduct a thorough self-inspection
- use renovation and/or demolition techniques that do not cause visible emissions
Regulated material removed during a renovation or demolition must be managed and buried in an approved landfill.