An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »


Pesticide Establishment Registration and Reporting

Need help?

The Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) Section 7 requires that production of pesticides, active ingredients or devices be conducted in a registered pesticide-producing or device-producing establishment. ("Production" includes formulation, packaging, repackaging, labeling and relabeling.) Production in an unregistered establishment is a violation of the law. Information on pesticide establishments is tracked through the Section Seven Tracking System.  A list of active EPA-registered foreign and domestic pesticide-producing and device-producing establishments is available. Additional limited information on establishments is available through a FOIA request.

Establishments that produce pesticides, active ingredients or devices, including companies or establishments that import into the United States, must first obtain a company number; second, register the establishment, then file initial and annual production reports with EPA.

1. Register Each Establishment - A One-Time Requirement

Registrants who plan to “produce” pesticides or pest control devices must obtain an EPA Company Number first.  If your company has an existing EPA Product Registration Number, then you have a Company Number and can proceed with applying for an Establishment Number(s).

  • You must apply for and receive your Company Number before requesting an establishment number.
  • If your company is a licensed contractor of another company, you must have your own Company Number. 
  • The Company Number can be used for multiple establishments owned or operated by the same company.

EPA assigns a unique number to each establishment that produces any pesticide, active ingredient or device. FIFRA requires that each producing establishment must place its EPA establishment number on the label or immediate container of each pesticide, active ingredient or device produced.

Registering an establishment is required once.

Quickly register new establishments electronically (recommended method) or use EPA Form 3540-8 to request an establishment registration number

2. File Initial and Annual Production Reports (Reporting Production and Distribution Information)

Initial Reports: An initial report is due to EPA 30 days after the company is notified of their pesticide-producing or device-producing establishment number. Submit reports to the pesticide establishment coordinator where your company headquarters is located.

Annual Reports: Thereafter, each facility that produces pesticides or devices must submit a report to EPA annually, on or before March 1st. The report includes:

  • Name and address of the producing establishment
  • Pesticide production information such as product registration number, product name and amounts produced and distributed

An annual report is required, even when no products are produced or distributed.

All establishments, domestic and foreign, must submit a report to EPA.

Foreign Establishments

For foreign establishments, the amount reported should only be that amount which is produced for import into the United States, not to other countries. 

Failure to File

Failure to file an initial or annual production report is a violation of FIFRA, and may result in termination of the establishment’s registration, civil penalties up to $7,500 per violation or criminal penalties. In addition, it is unlawful to knowingly falsify all or part of any pesticide production information reported on EPA Form 3540-16.

Establishment Termination Request

If your establishment is no longer producing pesticides, active ingredients or devices including repackaging and relabeling, please submit a letter requesting termination of your establishment to the pesticide establishment coordinator where your company headquarters is located. Upon termination, it is illegal to sell or distribute any pesticide, active ingredient or device in the United States or to export a product out of the United States. Terminated foreign establishments may not import any pesticide, active ingredient or device into the United States.

Quickly submit annual reports electronically or use EPA Form 3540-16 to report production and distribution information.

Need Help with This Topic?