Lesson 1: What Does the Rule Do?
Select each item below to learn more about what CROMERR does.
- Removes Regulatory Obstacles
The rule removes regulatory obstacles to e-reporting under EPA and EPA-authorized programs by overriding references to paper-based requirements in Title 40 the CFR. Examples include "file copies" or "return receipts."
- Sets Standards for e-Reporting
The rule sets standards for systems that states, tribes, and local governments use to receive e-reports under their EPA-authorized programs. The standards are performance-based requirements that systems must meet to ensure the authenticity and integrity of the electronic documents and electronic signatures that they receive. EPA systems that receive e-reports from direct reporters are also required to meet these CROMERR standards.
Sets requirements for:
- Direct e-Reporting to EPA
The rule sets requirements for regulated entities that report directly to EPA and wish to report electronically. The requirements identify the EPA systems to which they may e-report and set conditions on the execution of any signatures associated with the submitted reports.
- Authorized Programs That Receive or Wish to Receive E-Reports
The rule requires state, tribal, and local governments that receive or wish to receive e-reports in lieu of paper under their authorized programs to seek EPA approval of modifications or revisions to those programs to incorporate e-reporting. EPA will make approval decisions based primarily on two criteria:
- The applicant must have sufficient legal authority to enforce its authorized programs using electronically submitted documents, and
- The system the applicant proposes to use to receive the e-reports must meet the CROMERR standards for e-reporting systems.
- Applications for EPA Approval of Authorized Program E-Reporting
The rule sets requirements for completing and submitting an application for approval of an authorized program modification or revision, including a specification of the items that the application must include.
- Provides a Special, Streamlined EPA Approval Process
CROMERR provides a streamlined approval process for program modifications or revisions related to e-reporting that allows state, tribal, and local governments to submit a single, consolidated application for multiple authorized programs. State, tribal, and local governments may also use applicable program approval or revision processes under other Parts of Title 40 that are specific to a particular authorized program.