Clean Watersheds Needs Survey (CWNS) – 2008 Report and Data
The 2008 CWNS summarizes the results of EPA's fifteenth national survey of capital costs to address water quality or water quality related public health problems. The information helps Congress, state legislatures, communities and others make informed investment decisions about clean water infrastructure and pollution control methods.
Report to Congress and Summary of Results
Total wastewater and stormwater management needs for the nation were $298.1 billion as of January 1, 2008. This amount includes:
- $192.2 billion for wastewater treatment plants, pipe repairs, and buying and installing new pipes;
- $63.6 billion for combined sewer overflow correction; and
- $42.3 billion for stormwater management.
Small communities have documented needs of $22.7 billion.
In addition to the $298.1 billion in wastewater and stormwater needs, other documented needs for nonpoint source pollution prevention ($22.8 billion) and decentralized wastewater (septic) systems ($23.9 billion) are included in Appendix A of the report.
An estimated $334.5 billion in needs are potentially eligible for assistance from EPA's Clean Water State Revolving Fund. An estimated $81.5 billion in needs are potentially eligible for assistance from EPA's Nonpoint Source Control Grant program.
View material relating to the 2008 Clean Watersheds Needs Survey:
- Executive Summary
- Clean Watersheds Needs Survey 2008 Report to Congress
- Frequently Asked Questions about the CWNS 2008 Report to Congress
- Webinar on the CWNS 2008 Report to Congress and Internet Data Access
Access to Detailed Data
Data and reports can be accessed quickly and easily through the following four options:
- Facility/Project Fact Sheet - Shows CWNS data available for an individual wastewater treatment plant, collection system, stormwater management facility, decentralized wastewater management project, or nonpoint source (NPS) pollution prevention project.
- Summary Reports - Display selected CWNS data for chosen geographic areas in bar graphs and pie charts.
- Detail Reports - Display selected CWNS data for chosen geographic areas. The output is displayed in tables which can be exported as csv files.
- Data Download - A downloadable Access database of all data elements for a selected geographic area (state or nation).