State Grants: Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA)
On this page:
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
EPA allocates DERA funds to eligible U.S. states and territories for the establishment of diesel emissions reduction programs.
Using the formula outlined in the Energy Policy Act of 2005 (PDF)(551 pp, 3.16 MB, August 2005), the State Grants are allocated 30 percent of the annual DERA appropriation.
Of the state portion of the funding, two-thirds is provided to participating states and territories as base funding. The remaining third is allocated as an incentive to those states and territories that voluntarily provide a match equal to the base funding. States and territories with open 2019 DERA State Grants that choose to participate in 2020 will receive 2020 funds as a supplemental amendment to their existing 2019 grant.
Note: States intending to use Volkswagen mitigation funds for the DERA Option in the VW partial settlement should review the DERA Option Factsheet (PDF)(8 pp, 311 K, April 2019, EPA-420-F-19-042).
|Release of Notice of Intent to Participate (NOIP) form||Tuesday, February 25, 2020|
Webinar for states and territories
Held Monday, March 2, 2020
Link to Presentation Materials (PDF)(37 pp, 351 K, March 2020)
|Deadline for states and territories to submit Notice of Intent to Participate form to DERA@epa.gov||Tuesday, March 10, 2020|
|States and territories will be notified of final allocation amounts via email||Friday, March 13, 2020|
|Deadline for states and territories to submit Work Plan and Budget Narrative, and Fleet Description to their EPA Region for review||Wednesday, April 15, 2020|
|Deadline for states and territories to submit application on Grants.gov||Thursday, May 14, 2020|
|Project period for FY 2020 awards begins. Regional offices will finalize the FY 2020 Program awards prior to October 1, 2020||Thursday, October 1, 2020|
- 2020 DERA State Grants Fact Sheet (PDF)(2 pp, 135 K, February 2020, EPA-420-F-20-013)
- 2019-2020 DERA State Grants Program Guide (PDF)(37 pp, 529 K, February 2020, EPA-420-B-20-018)
- 2020 DERA State Grants Notice of Intent to Participate (NOIP) (Word)(4 pp, 445 K, February 2020) Free Viewers
- 2020 DERA State Grants Work Plan and Budget Narrative Template (Word)(8 pp, 440 K, February 2020) Free Viewers
- 2019-2020 DERA State Grants - Fleet Description (Excel)(1 MB, February 2020) Free Viewers
- 2020 Priority County List (PDF)(13 pp, 684 K December 2019)
- How to Identify Low NOx Certified Engines Fact Sheet (PDF) (3 pp, 281 K, February 2020, EPA-420-F-20-010)
- EPA General Grant Terms and Conditions
Participating states and territories must submit a complete application package electronically to EPA through www.grants.gov after they have received their final allocation amount and have had their work plan approved by their EPA Region Project Officer. See Section VII of the 2019-2020 DERA Grants Program Guide for full application content and submission instructions.
States and territories may use their grants to fund diesel emissions reduction projects that use:
- EPA verified retrofit technologies or certified engine configurations
- California Air Resources Board (CARB) Exit verified retrofit technologies or certified engine configurations
- Idle-reduction technologies that are EPA verified
- Aerodynamic technologies and low rolling resistance tires that are EPA verified
- Early engine, vehicle, or equipment replacements with certified engine configurations
- State Grants Quarterly Reporting Template FY17-FY18 (Excel)(1 MB, May 2018)
- State Grants Final Reporting Template FY17-FY18 (Excel)(1 MB, April 2019)
- State Grants Quarterly Reporting Template FY19-FY20 (Excel)(729 K, November 2020)
- State Grants Final Reporting Template FY19-FY20 (Excel)(730 K, November 2020)