Guidance Manuals for the Surface Water Treatment Rules
These guidance documents support the Surface Water Treatment Rules and the treatment requirements for public water systems complying with those rules. They provide guidance for public water systems that need to consider changes to their treatment processes to ensure compliance with requirements of the Surface Water Treatment Rule.
- Alternative Disinfectants and Oxidants Guidance Manual (PDF) (346 pp, 1.2 MB, About PDF) EPA 815-R-99-014, April 1999
- Disinfection Profiling and Benchmarking Guidance Manual (PDF) (162 pp, 2.3 MB, About PDF) EPA 815-R-20-003, June 2020
- Enhanced Coagulation and Enhanced Precipitative Softening Guidance Manual (PDF) (237 pp, 589 K, About PDF) EPA 815-R-99-012, May 1999
- Guidance Manual for Compliance with the Interim Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule: Turbidity Provisions (PDF)(144 pp, 2980 MB, About PDF) EPA 815-R-20-004, June 2000
- Microbial and Disinfection Byproduct Rules Simultaneous Compliance Guidance Manual (PDF)(148 pp, 413 K, About PDF) EPA 815-R-99-015, August 1999
For more information, please see the Surface Water Treatment Rules page.