About E3: Economy – Energy – Environment
Our goal is to help increase U.S. manufacturers’ productivity, while making them more competitive and gain access to new markets by reducing environmental and energy costs through the development of new sustainable materials, products and processes. We see this as an opportunity to strategically re-position U.S. manufacturing.
— Brian Lagas, NIST Manufacturing Extension Partnership. NIST is the National Institute of Standards and Technology, an agency of the U.S. Department of Commerce, and a part of E3.
Formed in 2009 to help revitalize the economy while helping achieve sustainability, E3 is a federal technical-assistance framework comprising six federal government agencies, including EPA.
E3 connects agencies and organizations in local communities and small and medium-sized manufacturers with experts from federal agencies, states, and regions to:
- help reduce energy consumption
- minimize carbon footprints
- prevent pollution
- increase productivity
- drive innovation
When a community or participates in E3, it means joining forces with a federal agency-backed support network of people and tools.
In an "E3 Community," one or more companies, local government agencies and community organizations team up to create customized technical assessments detailing how to incorporate practical sustainable approaches throughout each facility involved.
E3 assessments aim to:
- Reduce energy consumption
- Minimize carbon footprints
- Prevent pollution
- Increase productivity
- Drive innovation
When manufacturers, communities, and utilities collaborate, the benefits reach far beyond manufacturers' production lines.
E3 communities strive to:
- Improve the profitability and competitiveness of local manufacturers.
- Attract new business.
- Stimulate the local economy by creating new, well-paying jobs and by helping to retain existing ones.
- Train and equip workers with the skills necessary to compete in a global economy.
- Minimize the frequency of abandoned manufacturing facilities.
- Advance the environmental and climate change goals of local governments and utilities.
- Enable utilities to expand their manufacturing customer base without increasing capacity.
Communities across the country are strengthening their local manufacturing base and creating new jobs with the help of E3.
On other pages:
- Participate in E3
- Check out E3's success stories
- Get E3's manufacturing how-to guide to help you assemble your team
- Get E3's community how-to guide to help you assemble your team