Federal Facilities Enforcement Policies and Guidance
- Coordination of Federal Facility Enforcement Actions with OECA (Nov. 2006) - Defines all EPA enforcement actions concerning federal facilities as nationally significant, and lays out expected coordination between EPA Headquarters and its regional offices.
- Use of Contract Inspectors for EPA’s Federal Facility Compliance Inspections/Evaluations (Nov. 2005) - Clarifies that properly trained authorized and federally credentialed EPA contract inspectors can perform compliance inspections at federal facilities under the Clean Water Act (CWA), Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), Oil Pollution Act (OPA) and the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA).
- EPA Enforcement Policy for GOCO Facilities (Jan. 994) - Sets forth EPA’s enforcement policy towards government-owned/contractor-operated (GOCO) federal facilities and operators.
- Interim Guidance on Defining Federal Facility Activities for Compliance and Enforcement Tracking (May 2008) - Detailed discussion of how various activities on federally owned property are defined.
- Final Supplemental Environmental Projects Policy (May 1998) - Explains EPA's policy for alleged violators that voluntarily agree to undertake an environmentally beneficial project related to the violation in exchange for mitigation of the penalty.
- Consideration of Federal Agency Supplemental Environmental Projects and Executive Order Requirements (July 2008) - Discusses SEP issues in the context of federal facilities.
- Processing Requests for Use of Enforcement Discretion (Mar. 1995) - Sets out EPA policy and practice when EPA receives requests to take no enforcement action at a facility by federal facilities as well as private entities.
- A Guide for Ship Scrappers Tips for Regulatory Compliance (2000) - Provides information on federal environmental requirements applicable to the dismantling of large sea-going vessels, many of which are retired U.S. Navy and Maritime Administration vessels.
- EPA Policy on Consultation and Coordination with Indian Tribes (PDF)(10 pp, 141 K, About PDF) (May 2011) - Sets out procedures EPA will use to consult and coordinate with tribal entities affected by EPA enforcement actions and other activities.