An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

What are the differences between Tier I and Tier II forms?

The reporting under Section 312 is in two tiers, Tier I and Tier II.  What are the general differences between the two forms?

Section 312 includes a two tier approach.  Tier I requires information (such as maximum amount of hazardous chemicals at the facility during the preceding year, an estimate of the average daily amount of hazardous chemicals at the facility, and the general location) be aggregated and reported by hazard categories.  Tier II not only requires the information mentioned above, but also requests information on specific location and storage.

Finally, Tier I is required by federal law; Tier II is required only upon request by the local emergency planning committee or the state emergency response commission.  However, a covered facility may submit Tier II forms instead of Tier I forms.  Some states already require facilities to submit Tier II forms or forms created by the states under their legislation.