An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Registration and Reporting Under the FARR

FARR Online Reporting System

The FARR requires owners and operators of certain sources of air pollution to register with EPA and to report their facility's air pollution emissions annually. 

On this page:
On related pages:

Do I need to register?

The following questions will help you determine whether you are required to register:

  1. Is the air pollution source located within the federally-recognized exterior boundaries of an Indian reservation in Idaho, Oregon, or Washington? See list of reservations covered by the FARR.
  2. Does the air pollution source have the potential to emit more than two tons (2,000 pounds) per year of any regulated air pollutant? See how to estimate your emissions.
  3. Is the air pollution source regulated under FARR? See list of exempt sources.

If you answered yes to all three questions, then you must register your facility.

You can also call the FARR Hotline at 1-800-424-4372 for assistance.

What if I already have a Part 71 (Title V) operating permit?

Owners and operators of major sources with Part 71 (Title V) operating permits must still submit an annual FARR registration report to EPA that includes the same registration information and emissions calculations as for non-Part 71 sources. This annual registration report must be submitted along with the annual emissions report and fee calculation worksheet required for Part 71 sources. A single combined report may be submitted.

Top of Page

Which sources are exempt?

The following air pollution sources are not required to register under the FARR:

  • Sources that do not have the potential to emit more than two tons (2,000 pounds) per year of any regulated air pollutant. See how to calculate your emissions.
  • Mobile sources (cars, trucks, boats, trains, etc.).
  • Single-family residences and residential buildings with four or fewer apartments or living units.
  • Air conditioning units used for human comfort and that do not release manufacturing or industrial process pollutants into the air.
  • Furnaces and boilers used only for space heating with a rated heat input capacity of less than 400,000 British thermal units (Btu) per hour.
  • Cooking of food, except for wholesale businesses that cook and sell cooked food.
  • Consumer use of office equipment and products.
  • Janitorial services and consumer use of janitorial products.
  • Maintenance and repair activities, except for air pollution sources that maintain and repair equipment as a business.
  • Agricultural, forestry, and silvicultural activities (including burning).
  • Open burning (What is open burning?)

Top of Page

When is my registration/report due?

Owners and operators (except for Part 71 sources, see below) must register the source with EPA according to the following schedule:

  • Initial registration: New air pollution sources must register within 90 days after beginning operation.
  • Annual registration: After the initial registration, the owner or operator must re-register by February 15 of each year.

Additional reporting:

  • Change of ownership and closures (except for regular seasonal closures) must be reported to EPA within 90 days.
  • Source relocations must be reported to EPA within 30 days.

For Part 71 sources, the first annual registration report must be submitted for the calendar year that the source became classified as a Part 71 source.

Top of Page

How do I submit my registration/report?

You may need the following information to complete your registration/report:

  • Facility identification information
  • Contact information for persons responsible for source compliance
  • Identifying information for all emission units, including a facility plot plan
  • Descriptions and quantities of fuels and raw materials consumed at the source
  • Source operating schedule
  • Estimates of total actual emissions
  • Estimated efficiencies of air pollution control equipment

Note that all registrations and reports must include a certification signed by the source owner or operator testifying to the truth, accuracy, and completeness of the submittal.


We prefer that you submit your registration or report online using the FARR Online Reporting System (part of EPA's Central Data Exchange), if possible. 

Don't have an account yet? Follow the guidance below for registering and reporting using the FARR Online Reporting System.

By mail

You may also print and mail the following forms to EPA: