An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Training Fires on Indian Reservations in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington

Fire protection services (e.g. local fire departments) may request permission from EPA to conduct an outdoor burn by qualified personnel to train firefighters on fire suppression and fire fighting techniques.

On this page:

Request Permission to Conduct a Training Fire

Send a written request to EPA via mail, fax, or email to:

EPA Regional Administrator
c/o FARR Hotline
U.S. EPA Region 10, OAW-150
1200 6th Avenue, Suite 155
Seattle, WA 98101
FARR Hotline (
Fax: 206-553-0110 (please call the FARR Hotline at 1-800-424-4372 in advance of sending fax)

Your request must contain the following information:

  1. Name of fire protection service
  2. Mailing address
  3. Email
  4. Phone number
  5. Date(s) of the training
  6. Physical location(s) of the training (street address)
  7. Contact information for the responsible party on the day of the training fire (e.g. cell phone)
  8. A statement that the requestor has read and understands the following open burning requirements under the FARR: Open Burning - 40 CFR Part 49, Section 131 (PDF)(2 pp, 184 K)

You will receive an email granting permission or requesting additional information. Be sure to print a copy of the email giving permission for the training fire to keep at your burn site for inspectors or others who request it.

Permission from tribes and other authorities

You may also need permission from tribal air pollution authorities or any other governments with applicable laws and ordinances. 

The Coeur d'Alene, Colville, Nez Perce, Quinault, and Umatilla Tribes have authority to approve training fires for fire protection services on EPA’s behalf under a delegation agreement. The Swinomish Tribe has authority under their Tribal Implementation Plan to approve training fires. 

Top of Page

What to do Before you Burn

1. Notify EPA before and after your training fire

Before igniting any structure, notify EPA's FARR Hotline ( at 1-800-424-4372 so we'll have the opportunity to send an inspector to observe the burn, and so we can respond appropriately to any questions from the public.

Let us know when the training fire is completed and whether there were any noted impacts from smoke to local areas.

2. Ensure structure does not contain asbestos-containing materials

Before igniting any structure, you must ensure that the structure does not contain asbestos or asbestos-containing materials. The asbestos National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) regulations apply to single family homes to be burned for training purposes. See EPA's asbestos NESHAP page for more information about renovation and demolition of buildings.

You must submit notification to EPA at least 10 working days prior to the burn.

Your Notification of Demolition and Renovation Form (PDF)(2 pp, 54 K, About PDF) for projects in Alaska, Idaho, and on tribal lands should be mailed to:

Asbestos NESHAP Coordinator
U.S. EPA, Region 10 (OCE-201)
1200 Sixth Ave., Suite 155
Seattle, WA 98101

3. Ensure structure does not contain hazardous materials

Before igniting any structure, you must ensure that the structure does not contain:

  • Batteries
  • Stored chemicals such as pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, paints, glues, sealers, tars, solvents, household cleaners, or photographic reagents
  • Stored linoleum, plastics, rubber, tires, or insulated wire
  • Hazardous wastes

Training fires are not allowed to smolder after the training session has terminated.

4. Check for burn bans

Before igniting any fire, you should:

  • Check if there are current burn bans (for air quality and fire safety).
  • Document that air quality conditions are conducive to an outdoor burn.
  • Take steps to protect the public and sensitive populations (such as schools, hospitals and elder homes) from smoke impacts.

Top of Page