FGC Transportation Goals
Relative to your baseline, reduce the following by 5% or more:
- Alternative fuel/Efficient Vehicles purchased/leased
- Fleet vehicle miles
- Employee work-related privately owned vehicle travel miles
- Employee work-related airplane miles
- Employee vehicle commuting miles
Reduce Your Footprint
Alternative Fuel/Efficient Vehicles
Fact: Upgrading a fleet vehicle to one that gets 3 miles more per gallon can prevent 3,000 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions each year.
- Purchase or lease SmartWay Certified vehicles
- Purchase or lease alternative fuel vehicles, such as electric vehicles or biodiesel vehicles
- Reduce the number of attendees to non-critical events
Fact: If an average worker avoided using their car to commute just two days per week, greenhouse gas emissions would be reduced by approximately 1,600 pounds per year, per individual.
- Reimburse public transportation costs for employees or use Commuter Check
- Choose a building location close to public transportation
- Encourage biking by providing bike racks and showers
- Allow work-at-home or flexible hours to reduce employee commute trips
- Evaluate the need for travel - will videoconferencing, teleconferencing, or webinars work instead?
- Choose meeting/conference venues based on availability of public transportation
- Template for Employee Commute Survey
- GREET Fleet Footprint Calculator Evaluate life-cycle petroleum use and GHG emissions
- Petroleum Reduction Planning Tool
- SmartWay Savings Calculator for Fleet Owners
Case Studies (Success Stories)
- Reassessing how work is done reduces air travel
- Transportation Initiative Incorporates Alternative Fuels and Electric Vehicles
- The U.S. Army leased 4,000 Neighborhood Electric Vehicles
More case studies are available at the U.S. Department of Energy's Federal Energy Management Page.