Data Steward Resources
- What is a the role of a Primary Regional Data Steward?
- What is a the role of a Secondary Data Steward?
- What is a the role of a Emergency Response Secondary Data Steward?
- What is a the role of a State/Tribal Data Steward?
- What is a the role of a Headquarters Point of Contact?
- What happens if a Secondary or State/Tribal Steward submits a record correction that is located in a Region that does not have an active Primary Steward?
What is a the role of a Primary Regional Data Steward?
Who: EPA regional program staff
- Act as a point of contact for Regional data needs and data quality issues
- Assist with the dissemination of information about FRS to Regional staff
- Assist with FRS data improvement projects
- Coordinate with State Data Stewards as needed
- Make data corrections (these corrections will be incorporated directly into the FRS production layer)
- Approve data corrections proposed by secondary or state/tribal stewards for your Region
- Data stewards can choose to delegate responsibilities to secondary data stewards or to the FRS team
- There can be more than one Primary Regional Data Steward per Region.
What is a the role of a Secondary Data Steward?
Who: Staff from EPA Regions and Program Offices. This category includes EPA Data Stewards who are involved in Emergency Response activities.
None unless responsibility has been delegated by a primary steward.
Facility Linkage Application Responsibilities:
Recommend data corrections through the Facility Linkage Application. These corrections will need to be approved by Regional Data Stewards before they are incorporated into FRS’s production layer.
What is a the role of a Emergency Response Secondary Data Steward?
Who: Secondary Stewards from the Regions who are familiar with emergency response data needs and/or the emergency response community in their Region.
- Serve as a point of contact between the FRS team and the emergency response community in the Region
- Work with FRS’s data stewardship community on emergency response and preparedness related projects
- Work with the FRS team to get improved regional data that is a result of emergency response activities back into FRS for future use
- Make data corrections related to emergency response and preparedness projects. These corrections will need to be approved by Regional Data Stewards before they are incorporated into FRS’s production layer
- Run reports needed for emergency response and emergency preparedness activities
What is a the role of a State/Tribal Data Steward?
- Act as a point of contact for State, Local or Tribal data needs and data quality issues
- Coordinate with Regional FRS Data Stewards as needed
- Run reports that show discrepancies between FRS data and State data
- Make corrections to State data as needed (These corrections will need to be approved by Regional Data Stewards)
What is a the role of a Headquarters Point of Contact?
- Serve as a point of contact for your data system
- Assist with resolving data quality issues regarding your data system
- Act as an FRS point of contact with your office
- Assist with FRS data improvement projects that relate to your program.
- Run reports that show discrepancies between FRS data and program system data
- Can also be a secondary steward which will make it possible to suggest data corrections to FRS data (these corrections will need to be approved by a Regional Data Steward).
How do I become a Primary Data Steward in FLA?
The Facility Registry Service (FRS) team works with Regional staff to find an appropriate Primary Regional Steward. For more information, check in with our Data Steward Contacts or contact FRS_Support@epa.gov.
How do I become a Secondary or State/Tribal Data Steward in FLA?
Any Regional, State, Tribal or EPA Headquarters staff who have familiarity with EPA data and a need to improve the quality of data that appears in FRS can become a Secondary or State/Tribal Data Steward. We strongly suggest that Secondary and State/Tribal Data Stewards read through our data steward documentation located found at this link and attend an FLA training session in order to familiarize themselves with the best techniques for making data corrections. The FRS Team periodically sends out training information to all registered FLA users. For more information, check in with our Data Steward Contacts or contact FRS_Support@epa.gov.
Who are the current FRS Primary Data Stewards?
A list of current FRS Data Stewards and contacts can be found at: FRS Data Steward Network Contacts page.
Can a FRS Primary Data Steward suggest changes to a record in another Region?
In future releases of the FLA there will be functionality that will allow Primary Data Stewards to be a Primary Data Steward and a Secondary Data Steward simultaneously. This will allow a Primary Data Steward to act as a Secondary Data Steward in someone else’s Region. While this functionality is not currently available, a work around is possible that would allow Primary Stewards to make changes in other Regions. As this need arises it will be pursued on a case by case basis.
I still have a lot of questions, how can I learn more?
The FRS team is happy to meet with staff from individual Regions, States and Tribes to answer questions, get feedback and establish processes that work within the specific structure of each organization. You can contact the FRS Team at: FRS_Support@epa.gov.
What happens if a Secondary or State/Tribal Steward submits a record correction that is located in a Region that does not have an active Primary Steward?
The FRS HQ team will review and approve/reject suggested changes submitted by Secondary or State/Tribal Stewards in Regions that do not currently have an active Primary Data Steward.
Who They Are
|Students and teachers, industry, and environmental groups
|Environmental Protection Agency
|Programs, regions, decision makers, emergency responders, researchers, analysts and GIS professionals
|FRS Primary Data Stewards
|EPA staff who act as champions for high-quality facility data, ensuring data curation and maintaining accurate linkages between facility records. Also review and approve data corrections submitted by Secondary and Other (State/Tribal) Stewards.
|Secondary Data Stewards (State/Tribal/Program/Other)
|State, Tribal, Program, and Other Data Stewards who review facility data and suggest data quality improvements for facility data
|A partnership among states, tribes, territories, and EPA for the exchange of environmental information efficiently and securely over the internet