Annual Compliance Data for Obligated Parties and Renewable Fuel Exporters under the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) Program
Background Information on Annual Compliance
Gasoline and diesel refiners and importers (Obligated Parties) and exporters of renewable fuel are required to demonstrate compliance with Renewable Volume Obligations (RVOs) for cellulosic biofuel (CB), biomass-based diesel (BBD), advanced biofuel (AB), and renewable fuel (RF).
Obligated parties may obtain credits representing renewable fuel (which are called Renewable Identification Numbers or RINs) throughout the compliance year. After the completion of a compliance year, obligated parties retire the number and type of RINs required to achieve compliance with each of their applicable RVOs. Exporters must demonstrate compliance with the RVO associated with each discrete volume of exported renewable fuel within thirty days of export.
Note that on March 27, 2020 the Agency announced its intent to extend the 2019 RFS compliance date for small refineries to provide them with additional flexibility. As a result, 2019 compliance data does not reflect input from small refineries who have not yet retired RINs or submitted annual reports.
The tables below provide summary totals of annual compliance with Obligated Party and Exporter RVOs, as well as other data relevant to the RFS program.
- Table 1: Estimated vs. actual gasoline and diesel volume produced for domestic use
- Table 2: Total RVO for each compliance year
- Table 3: Total RIN retirements for annual compliance reported by Gasoline & Diesel Importers, Refiners and Renewable Fuel Exporters
- Table 4: RFS2 RIN retirements in EMTS nested by RVO
- Table 5: Total end-of-year compliance deficits for each compliance year
- Table 6: Cellulosic Waiver Credits Purchased Annually
EPA has adopted a new interface called Qlik Sense for its annual compliance (RVO) data page. Click on the tabs to navigate through the tables on this page. The export Table button will export the data as a CSV file.
All table formats remain the same from the previous version except Table 3 is a combination of three previous tables as noted below*.
• Total RIN retirements for annual compliance reported by Gasoline and Diesel Importers
• Total RIN retirements for annual compliance reported by Gasoline/Diesel Refiners
• Total RIN retirements for annual compliance reported by Renewable Fuel Exporters