An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

Can an ethanol or biodiesel plant keep a RIN?

In general, producers of renewable fuel must assign all RINs that they generate to volumes of renewable fuel and transfer those RINs with the renewable fuel to another party. However, there are some exceptions.

First, producers of cellulosic or waste-derived ethanol can retain RINs generated in excess of an Equivalence Value of 1.0 (see regulation Section 80.1126(e)(4)).

Second, a renewable fuel producer who is also an obligated party can retain RINs generated up to the level of their annual RVO (see regulation Section 80.1129(b)(6)).

Lastly, producers can acquire an unlimited number of unassigned RINs through the open RIN market.

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)