An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

Do third party marketers like X Company need to track RINs from the ethanol plant to the buyer?

If X Company takes ownership of ethanol along with assigned RINs, it would be required to register with the EPA and would be subject to the recordkeeping, reporting, product transfer document and attest engagement requirements of regulation Sections 80.1151(d), 80.1152(c), 80/1153 and 80.1164(c).

The tracking required under the RFS rule involves only transfers of title (ownership), not transfers of custody. If X Company never takes ownership of ethanol with assigned RINs and does not participate in other ways in the RFS program (for example, through the purchase and sale of unassigned RINs), it would not be required to register with, or report to, EPA under the RFS program.

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)