An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

Does regulation Section 80.1128(a)(4) allow a marketer to change the K code from 1 to 2 and then not transfer the RIN with the renewable fuel as long as he sells the RINs to anyone by the end of the quarter?

Marketers who buy and sell renewable fuel without blending it into gasoline or diesel cannot separate RINs from volumes, and thus cannot change the K code from 1 to 2. All conditions under which a party can separate RINs from volumes are set forth in regulation Section 80.1129(b).

However, a marketer can indeed decide not to transfer a particular RIN with a volume of renewable fuel so long as the end-ofquarter check described in regulation Section 80.1128(a)(5) is fulfilled.

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)