An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

EPA has required that volumes be reported in gallons, but much of the industry measures volume in barrels. May volume be reported in barrels?

No. If necessary, convert the volume in barrels to gallons using the proper conversion factor (42 gals/bbl) and round the result to the nearest whole gallon.

When rounding fractional values, values from 0.01 to 0.49 should be rounded down to the unit value and values from 0.50 to 0.99 should be rounded up to the next highest unit value.(7/1/94)

This question and answer was originally posted at Consolidated List of Reformulated Gasoline and Anti-Dumping Questions and Answers: July 1, 1994 through November 10, 1997 (PDF)(333 pp, 18.17 MB, EPA420-R-03-009, July 2003, About PDF)