An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

EPA has stated that a Product Transfer Document must be provided to the transferee in an exchange transaction. Is this true when this exchange is instantaneous and the transferee has no ability to alter the product?

Yes. When any person transfers title or custody of any gasoline (with the exception of gasoline sold or dispensed at a retail outlet or wholesale purchaser-consumer for use in motor vehicles), the transferor must provide to the transferee the specific information pertaining to the fuel required in the product transfer documentation sections, regardless of the transferee's ability to alter the product.(8/29/94)

This question and answer was posted at Consolidated List of Reformulated Gasoline and Anti-Dumping Questions and Answers: July 1, 1994 through November 10, 1997 (PDF)(333 pp, 18.17 MB, EPA420-R-03-009, July 2003, About PDF)