An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

How do I register renewable diesel?

Manufacturers/importers of renewable diesel for on-road use are required to register the fuel with the EPA.

To register, complete form 3520-12 available here: Register a Fuel or Fuel Additive.

Please indicate “renewable diesel” in part 5(g).

Additionally, please attach the following information to the form:

  1. Description of raw materials used to manufacture the diesel.
  2. Description of the process used to manufacture the diesel.
  3. Laboratory test reports of the diesel indicating that it meets ASTM D-975.
  4. Discussion why your fuel is substantially similar to diesel fuel used in emissions certification.

A separate registration is also required for the diesel sulfur program and the renewable fuel standard program via the Central Data Exchange. Please see: Reporting for Fuel Programs.

The above is required before the fuel may be introduced into commerce. It does not apply to blending components.  If you are importing only a blending component, then the party that uses the blending component to produce a diesel fuel would be subject to the above.