An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

How to Use EMTS to Report Transactions for Fuel Programs

Required Procedures for RFS Compliance Reporting

Submitters are required to use e-signature to sign the Copy of Record for EPA Moderated Transaction System (EMTS) transactions. This procedure eliminates the past practice of submitting separate RIN Generation and RIN Transaction reports.

For a Job Aid on this task, see: How to Use e-Signature to Sign RIN Transaction Reports in EMTS.

The EPA Moderated Transaction System (EMTS) was designed to allow companies to report and track transactions for Fuel Programs. Currently, there are two types of transactions that are reported in EMTS:

  • Renewable Identification Number (RIN) transactions under the Renewable Fuel Standard
  • Fuels Averaging, Banking, and Trading (ABT) credit transactions under the Gasoline Sulfur program

Follow these steps to report transactions for Fuel Programs using EMTS:

STEP 1: Determine whether the submitter has access to EMTS.

A user must be registered and assigned the proper roles to submit reports. Click here for more information: Registering a new user.

STEP 3: Submit transactions in EMTS.

Click these links or the tabs above for program-specific instructions: