An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

I understand under CAA Section 211(o), compliance can be deferred for a year as long as the obligated party complies the next year. How does one petition for a one-year deferral? What criteria are considered?

According to §80.1427(b), an obligated party may carry a deficit from one compliance year to the next under certain conditions. No petition for a deficit carryover is required. An obligated party will be presumed to be carrying over a deficit into the following year if they do not comply for the current year, and no enforcement action will be taken. However, deficit carryovers cannot occur two years in a row. Thus, if compliance is not achieved the following year for both the current and previous years, then the party would be subject to enforcement action.