An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

If blenders either opt not to trade or are not allowed to trade, who will be responsible for tracking these RINs through the system?

The blender must submit quarterly RIN transaction reports to EPA that will document all RIN transactions, including RIN purchases, RIN sales, and expired RINs. RINs that are reported purchased and thereafter are not sold will be identifiable through these reports. See regulation Section 80.1152(c).

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)