An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

If an ethanol producer imports a truckload of gasoline, they are an obligated party and have an RVO. Does this mean that they can separate RINs from all the ethanol they produce?

Not necessarily. Obligated parties can only separate RINs they generated for renewable fuel they produced or imported up to the level of their RVO. They are not allowed to separate additional RINs that they generated. However, obligated parties must separate all RINs from renewable fuel that they own if they did not generate those RINs. See regulation Sections 80.1129(b)(1) and (b)(6).

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)