An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

If I have a renewable fuel that was assigned a specific Equivalence Value in regulation Section 80.1115, but I don't think that Equivalence Value is right for my product, what options do I have?

Producers or importers of renewable fuel may submit a petition to the EPA requesting a different Equivalence Value from that assigned in the regulations. However, the petition must use the calculation methodology described in regulation Section 80.1115(d).

In short, if the energy content or renewable content of a producer's or importer's product differs from the values used by EPA to calculate the Equivalence Values specified in regulation Section 80.1115(b), the party may be entitled to an alternative Equivalence Value.

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)