An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

Is it possible to receive fuel from/deliver fuel to someone who is not registered? The regulations state that everyone has to register, however what would happen in the case of an importer who has never imported fuel to the U.S., and does not plan to do s

Per the regulations of § 80.597(c), all parties in the diesel fuel production and distribution system, up to the point where the fuel leaves the D&T boundaries (i.e., dyed or taxed) are required to register. However, it is possible to receive fuel from an unregistered entity or facility, as per the requirements and limitations of § 80.601(a)(3). For this case only, the entity/facility ID 8888-88888 must be used.

There is no provision to transfer fuel to an unregistered entity or facility in the D&T system (i.e., up to and including the truck loading terminal). In this case, the unregistered entity/facility must contact EPA to request ID numbers. In the case of the hypothetical importer in the question, it may transfer fuel into the D&T system without immediately registering (subject to the previously mentioned requirements and limitations of § 80.601(a)(3) on the recipient), but the importer must also comply with recordkeeping and reporting requirements, such as annual batch reports. This activity will require obtaining entity and facility IDs from EPA.

Question and Answer was originally posted at Questions and Answers on the Clean Diesel Fuel Rules (PDF)(135 pp, 888 K, EPA420-B-06-010, July 2006, About PDF)