An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

May I generate RINs that I produced and sold for non-road use in the past so that I can reinstate those RINs under RFS2?

Section 80.1426(c)(2) provides that RINs are assigned to a volume of renewable fuel when ownership of the RIN is transferred along with ownership of the volume of renewable fuel.

A comparable provision appear in the RFS1 regulations, at §80.1126(e)(2). Thus, a party may not generate RINS for renewable fuel produced and transferred to another party in the past in order to retire RINs and then reinstate them under RFS2.

You may only reinstate RINs that were generated in 2009 and 2010 that were retired for non-motor vehicle, heating oil or jet fuel use.