An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

Must a third party independent lab be "registered" with the EPA to get test methods approved?

Under §§ 80.584 and 80.585, each lab that will be testing fuel for compliance with the diesel regulations must obtain EPA approval on a laboratory-specific basis. The information required for approval is somewhat different depending on whether the test method is one that has been approved by a voluntary consensus-based standards body. However, there is no independent laboratory registration per se, as there is under the RFG program under § 80.65.

Question and Answer was originally posted at Questions and Answers on the Clean Diesel Fuel Rules (PDF)(135 pp, 888 K, EPA420-B-06-010, July 2006, About PDF)