Register or Update a Fuel Request under 40 CFR Part 79
New Electronic Process for Fuel Manufacturers subject to 40 CFR Part 79 Submitting Fuel Requests
Starting Wednesday, July 22, 2020, fuel manufacturers/importers that originally submitted hard copies of Form 3520-12 (Fuel Manufacturer Notification for Motor Vehicle Fuel) to register a fuel under 40 CFR Part 79 will only be able to electronically submit this information through the OTAQREG system in EPA's Central Data Exchange (CDX). These manufacturers/importers will NO LONGER be required to mail hard copies of Form 3520-12. Additional required information for registration must be uploaded into the OTAQREG system.
In order to electronically submit Part 79 fuel registration requests through OTAQREG, your company must have a company registered in the OTAQREG system. For instructions on how fuel manufacturers/importers electronically submit fuel requests through OTAQREG, please see the information below on this webpage.
Note: Electronic submission for Part 79 Periodic Reports and Fuel Additive Manufacturers will take effect at a later date. Manufacturers should continue the same submission process for submitting reports, new fuel additive requests and fuel additive update requests. Please see fuel additive information here: Register a Fuel Additive under 40 CFR Part 79.
- Required Systems
- Step 1: Check if your Company under 40 CFR Part 80 is registered in OTAQREG
- Step 2: Register as a New User
- Step 3: Register or Update a Company in OTAQREG
- Step 4: Create, Update or Deactivate a Fuel Product
- Step 5: Add Facility Information
The Part 79 Fuels Program requires the use of the following registration system:
- OTAQREG: Office of Transportation and Air Quality (OTAQ) Fuels Registration
To view completed and planned changes to the OTAQREG system, see: System Updates for Fuels Registration
1. Check the Registered Companies and Facilities List
- To check if your company is already registered in OTAQREG under Part 80, please see a list of registered companies here: https://19january2021snapshot.epa.gov/fuels-registration-reporting-and-compliance-help/registered-companies-and-facilities-part-80-fuel
Users that must be registered include:
- Responsible Corporate Officers (RCOs) of companies
- Users delegated by an RCO to view or submit registration or reporting data within the EPA system
Note: If you are already associated to a registered company in OTAQREG, please go to Step 3: Add or Update a Company in OTAQREG, line item 1.
1. Create a CDX Account and Complete an Electronic Signature Agreement
- All EPA Fuels Program registration and reporting systems are accessed through the Central Data Exchange (CDX).
- For instructions on how to create a CDX Account, see: Creating a CDX Account
2. Associate your CDX Account to a company in OTAQREG
- For existing companies, new users can request a “user association." For instructions on creating a user association, see: How to Become a Delegated User of a Registered Company in OTAQREG (PDF) (4 pp, 609 K, June 2018, EPA-420-B-18-032)
- If you cannot find your company in OTAQREG, please see Step 3: Add or Update a Company in OTAQREG, line item 1.
Companies that must be registered include:
- Producers, importers, and exporters of:
- Renewable Fuels (as defined under the Renewable Fuel Standard Program)
- Producers or importers of:
- Gasoline, Reformulated Gasoline, Pentane, Ethanol Denaturant, or Oxygenates
- Diesel fuel that is used to power highway vehicles and/or non-road engines and equipment
- Renewable Identification Number (RIN) marketers and traders (under the Renewable Fuel Standard Program)
- Oxygenate blenders
- Independent laboratories
- Independent third-party companies that conduct audits of renewable fuel production under the Quality Assurance Plan (QAP) Program
1. Follow instructions in appropriate job aid based on Step 1
- If your company is already registered in OTAQREG, see How to Associate a 40 CFR Part 79 Company to a 40 CFR Part 80 Company in OTAQREG (PDF) (9 pp, 546 K, November 2020, EPA-420-B-20-053)
- Once your company is associated in OTAQREG, you must update your roles in order to make changes under 40 CFR Part 79. See How to Edit Delegated User Roles in OTAQREG (PDF) (7 pp, 435 K, December 2020, EPA-420-B-20-061)
- If your company is NOT registered in OTAQREG, see How to Register a New Company Subject to 40 CFR Part 79 & 40 CFR Part 80 in OTAQREG (PDF) (9 pp, 801 K, December 2020, EPA-420-B-20-057)
Create a New Fuel Request in OTAQREG
- For fuel manufacturers submitting a new fuel request in OTAQREG, see How to Add a New Fuel in OTAQREG (PDF) (13 pp, 697 K, July 2020, EPA-420-B-20-037)
Update a Fuel Product in OTAQREG
- For fuel manufacturers submitting an update request to a fuel product in OTAQREG, see How to Update a Fuel Product in OTAQREG (PDF) (13 pp, 666 K, July 2020, EPA-420-B-20-039)
Deactivate a Fuel Product in OTAQREG
- For fuel manufacturers submitting a deactivation request for a fuel product in OTAQREG, see How to Deactivate a Fuel Product in OTAQREG (PDF) (5 pp, 265 K, July 2020, EPA-420-B-20-038)
If Applicable, Add New Facility Information in OTAQREG
- For fuel manufacturers adding new facility information into OTAQREG, see Page 6 in, How to Register a New Company under 40 CFR Part 80 in OTAQREG (PDF) (15 pp, 1 MB, December 2020, EPA-420-B-20-058)