An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

Registration for Fuel Programs

New Electronic Process for Fuel Manufacturers subject to 40 CFR Part 79 Submitting Fuel Requests

Starting Wednesday, July 22, 2020, fuel manufacturers/importers that originally submitted hard copies of Form 3520-12 (Fuel Manufacturer Notification for Motor Vehicle Fuel) to register a fuel under 40 CFR Part 79 will only be able to electronically submit this information through the OTAQREG system in EPA's Central Data Exchange (CDX). These manufacturers/importers will NO LONGER be required to mail hard copies of Form 3520-12. Additional required information for registration must be uploaded into the OTAQREG system.

In order to electronically submit Part 79 fuel registration requests through OTAQREG, your company must have a company registered in the OTAQREG system. For instructions on how fuel manufacturers/importers electronically submit fuel requests through OTAQREG, please see the information below on this webpage.

Note: Electronic submission for Part 79 Periodic Reports and Fuel Additive Manufacturers will take effect at a later date. Manufacturers should continue the same submission process for submitting reports, new fuel additive requests and fuel additive update requests. For instructions on how to submit fuel additive registration requests, please see the information below on this webpage.

System Updates

EPA’s Fuels Registration System (OTAQREG) is undergoing a major redesign to streamline the registration process and improve the user experience. This web page provides release notes, future enhancements, and known issues for the OTAQREG system.

Part 80 Company, Facility, and User Registration

Companies, facilities, and users must be registered before participating in EPA Fuel Programs under Title 40 CFR Part 80.

Part 79 Fuel or Fuel Additive Registration

Motor vehicle gasoline, motor vehicle diesel fuel, and their additives must be registered under Title 40 CFR Part 79 - Fuel and Fuel Additive Registrations (FFARs).