Registration Guidelines for Fuels and Fuel Additives
- Products that must be registered
- Do not register these products
- Company registrations
- E15 fuel registration
- Regulations and standards
The following guidelines apply to Fuel and Fuel Additive Registrations (FFARs) under Title 40 CFR Part 79 as authorized by the Clean Air Act.
Products that must be registered:
- Motor vehicle gasoline, motor vehicle diesel fuel, and their additives
Do not register these products:
- A fuel or fuel additive marketed solely for use off-road, such as non-road diesel or a fuel additive solely for use in marine engines.
- An on-road fuel that is not gasoline or diesel, such as E85 or compressed natural gas.
- Certain fuels and fuel additives, whether or not they are subject to registration under the Clean Air Act, may be subject to requirements under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA).
View information on the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA).
- Registration at 40 CFR 79 is by manufacturer/company. It covers production of a registered fuel or fuel additive at all of the manufacturer’s facilities, even facilities acquired after registration. For example, a manufacturer of biodiesel may only have one facility at the time of registration. Later, the manufacturer may acquire a second facility to produce biodiesel. The biodiesel produced at the second facility would be covered by the registration. (Note: Fuel registration at 40 CFR 80 is by facility.)
- The definition of a fuel manufacturer includes an importer.
- The definition of an additive manufacturer includes an importer.
E15 fuel registration:
- There are unique registration requirements for E15 fuel (a blend of 85% gasoline and 15% ethanol). Click this link or the tab above for more information: E15 fuel registration
Regulations and standards:
- Substantially similar interpretive rules
- Summary of waiver requests under Section 211(f) of the Clean Air Act (PDF)(5 pp, 151 K, October 2019, EPA-420-B-19-054, About PDF)
- Final Rule: Revision to the Requirements on Variability in the Composition of Additives Certified Under the Gasoline Deposit Control Program
- Ethanol waivers (E15 and E10)
- Notices related to modification of Octamix Waiver
- Notices related to gasoline additive MMT health effects testing
- Notices related to requirements for baseline gasoline and non-baseline (oxygenated) gasoline groups
- Title 40 CFR Part 79