An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

Regulation Section 80.1126(d)(1), which says "must," seems in conflict with Section 80.1126(d)(2) which says "may". Is the correct reading that any volume of renewable fuel that leaves a producer's gate on or after 9/1/07 MUST have RINs assigned?

Renewable fuel producers and importers may generate RINs for renewable fuel they own on September 1, 2007 that was produced or imported earlier, and must generate RINs for renewable fuel produced or imported on or after September 1, 2007. Thus at the beginning of the program, it is possible that some volumes of renewable fuel being transferred by a renewable fuel producer or importer may not have assigned RINs.

However, this will not be the case in the longer term, since all renewable fuel imported or produced must have assigned RINs.

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)