Reporting Fuels ABT Transactions in the EPA Moderated Transaction System
Required Procedures for RFS Compliance Reporting
Submitters are required to use e-signature to sign the Copy of Record for EPA Moderated Transaction System (EMTS) transactions. This procedure eliminates the past practice of submitting separate RIN Generation and RIN Transaction reports.
For a Job Aid on this task, see: How to Use e-Signature to Sign RIN Transaction Reports in EMTS.
Transactions in the Sulfur and Benzene Averaging, Banking, and Trading (ABT) credit program are reported using the EPA Moderated Transaction System (EMTS) to simplify credit tracking and compliance. Refiners of gasoline may generate and transfer credits based on the regulations in Title 40 CFR Part 80 Subpart H.
Regulated parties are urged to conduct due diligence investigations and exercise caution when conducting gasoline sulfur and benzene credit transactions. Neither EPA nor its systems, including the EPA Moderated Transaction System (EMTS), certify or validate gasoline sulfur or benzene credits. As specified in the regulations at 40 CFR 80.315(b)(2) and 40 CFR 80.1295(b)(2), invalid gasoline sulfur and benzene credits cannot be used for compliance, regardless of the party’s good faith belief that the credits were valid at the time they were acquired.
Follow these steps to report Fuels ABT transactions using EMTS:
Step 1: Review the following reference documents
- User's guide for EMTS
- List of reporting codes used in EMTS
- Descriptions of documents available for download in EMTS
- Template for submitting unused credits for Fuels ABT users in EMTS
Step 2: Submit transactions
There are two ways to submit transactions in EMTS:
- Web Interface
Most users login to the web interface and use the data entry screens to report transactions or submit XML files that contain multiple transactions.
Some companies set up nodes to transmit and receive XML files directly to and from the EMTS system without using the web interface.
Reference the following documents for submitting XML files through the web interface or a node:
- Instructions for submitting transactions in EMTS using XML
- Template for converting MS Excel files to XML in EMTS
- Submission schema for RIN transactions in EMTS
- Data exchange template for EMTS
- Flow configuration document
- XML schema for retrieving documents available in EMTS through a node
- Best practices for EMTS industry nodes